Skip to main content

experiments - I

With CultUth (a club we had started 3-4 yrs back), we had hoped to do some experiments and stuff that needn't really have defined outcomes. We never got around to do them, I thought I should share those ideas, maybe someone interested in doing them could get in touch with me to do them, or do them themselves and share the experience.
I share the first idea that we had thought of in this post....

1. A group of people going to an alien city for 3-4 days. all blind folded except for one who would be the guide. The rest would be blind for all practical purposes, throughout day n night. The group can't stay indoors for more than 18 hours a day. They have to roam around and experience the place, sans the vision.
What it means to be blind? How does a blind person live? How does he feel? ofcourse 3 days aren't much, but any more than that and we won't have volunteers. :P
Also, In today's time where vision is becoming the preferred sense, and other senses such as taste and smell are increasingly 'sanitized', its all the more important to re connect ourselves to the language of other senses. How do we construct meaning with other senses. how to employ them more gainfully.

Well, I am interested in more of such experiments where I could live another life, where my empathy gains a lil' more depth. Where I could explore the limits of my senses. I would dig in my club notebook to find some more ideas that we had thought of. If you happen to read this blog, might as well contribute another idea, or refine one or lets do it together. Its about time I started acting on my ideas.

Also, please share info about any such interesting experiments that have been done that you might know of. I haven't studied much research, but 'ethnography' is what they call this, i guess . :P

Comments

Sonal Jhuj said…
why don't you sell your life awya or gve it away to take up a new one....

when u start working and have possessions.. one day just give them up and start afresh.

Now that's an experiment. a guy did that on ebay no? he sold his life on ebay to start afresh.
Ajinkya said…
but am not talking of gimmicks. besides am not tired of my life yet :P still lot to assimilate in this life before dieing to be born anew.

would u volunteer for that small 3 day blind wala project? does it make sense? what u think of it?
Ajinkya said…
but am not talking of gimmicks. besides am not tired of my life yet :P still lot to assimilate in this life before dieing to be born anew.

would u volunteer for that small 3 day blind wala project? does it make sense? what u think of it?

Popular posts from this blog

Why I repair my shoe

I have 3 shoes. One formal, One sport shoe and another a mix of the two. The last one is particularly awesome, cause of its uniqueness. It looks like a formal shoe, but is as comfortable and flexible as a sport shoe. I bought it for my first job in Mumbai. I was newly rich and was expected to behave like one. I found this gem of pure black leather in a Colaba Causeway showroom. Quite a find. But its been almost two years now and the shoe shows its age. For all its awesomeness, its quite a weak shoe, to give out so early. I have stitched it, got new laces, and strengthened its sole. It doesn't look shiny anymore cause the leather has suffered from a few hostile trespasses. I think, like a man, things too should be allowed to carry their scars. Shiny scar-less men are just so... irrelevant. 

Since childhood, I have been used to using things for long times. Clothes, equipments, shoes etc. I can't just throw things away cause they don't look as good anymore or they don't w…

Reading India through 'Dictator's handbook'

What's the difference between a democracy and a dictatorship?
The book says, not much. India, agrees. Current political dispensation especially agrees vigorously.

"Soma" of hindutva and past glory + divided impoverished amnesiac masses + legitimised attack on individual rights + tremendous wealth shared among few = brave new world of oligarchical India.


Essentially, democracies/ dictatorships etc., are simply variants of the same power dynamic between the ruler, essentials, influentials and inter-changeables.

Interchangeables are the nominal selectorate - the individual voters who have nominal (or cosmetic) power to choose leader - most of us.
Influentials  are the real selectorate - the guys who really choose the leader. In US recently, the electoral college famously went against the popular vote and elected a clown as their president instead. In India, theoretically, the system is a bit better in terms of a wider base of influentials - it could be religious gurus, party…

How many shots of the girl dancing or laughing aimlessly does it take to establish her as a Manic pixie dream girl?

Learning from bad writing: Meri Pyaru bindu These days I am writing my first story that I intend to complete and publish. So as you can imagine, I am in the writer mode most of the time - anxiously looking for writer's intent, choices, character arcs, alternate story lines etc, while watching any movie or reading any novel. With a well written story, these choices are not that apparent. You have to look hard and yet you might miss out on essential choices that the writer made, to make the film/ novel a great piece of art. It feels as if the story flowed out from the author's mind onto paper with zero loss in translation. For that reason, it is difficult to learn much from good writing. It inspires, yes of course. It helps you get in the mood or get into the right frame of mind. But it can't teach as well as a badly written movie/ novel can.
A badly written story makes you aware of your own fallibility. It grounds you. Most importantly, it helps you see the many ways in wh…