Skip to main content

just a thought

just a thought..
i don't understand why all of a sudden a foreign government's election result has caused such high media hype in US. People who don't even know where iran is, are 'protesting' (cyberspace can be a playground for the utterly idiotic and gullible out-of-lifers ) against apparent rigging of election. 'travesty of democracy'.. bull crap, funny how scores of other dictatorships or rigged election elected governments with help of US never get the kind of coverage that iran is getting now.

do i see here a ploy by US to create ground for it to go for Iran? hm.. saying the obvious. free press they say..
one can engineer a thought culture just as easy these days, as perhaps it was 100 years back. we haven't become any smarter..
___________________________________
Social protest as a measure of democracy

i think that protests happening at a place are a measure of democracy. well then what about Lalgarh in west bengal? what naxalites are doing, is that democracy?
fuck democracy. why should marginalised ones pay for mainstream.. and democracy is about mainstream majority. the big organised setup is shit. if anything, naxal activities suggest trend towards disintegration towards smaller entities of governing.
___________________________________
every day, commuting from north to south mumbai, i see hordes of peoples climbing up the stairs to railway bridges.. the sight is surreal.. so many people going up, so many coming down. it feels kinda stupid to see people living at one place, going somewhere else far to work. well, i am talking idealistic here, but how about having one's work within 15 minutes of your home.. for everyone? well, that can't happen in market economies thats for sure. but nevertheless, with India's kind of socialist deomcracy, a solution can be developed. the costs of ever increasing infrastructure can be routed to creation of affordable houses in all parts of mumbai.
continuous increase in infrastructure is not feasible. people pouring in mumbai will always outpace rate of infrastructure. we can't go the london way, where taxes dettered people from travelling in cars in city. in india, solution should be people centric with an eye towards sustainable development.
funny enough, market economy can be saviour to this socialist ideal. i dont remember which community, but there's this place in mumbai where the ghetto will give way to highrises, where 80% of the space will be for the original dwellers, who would get better living, and the rest 20% of space will go into funding the rest of 80% in form of real estate development.
i am imagining perfectly honorable affordable houses in cuffe parade even for poor.

well.. and about outsiders like me.. we better get outta here.. fast. not because we don't like it.. i love it here, but its unviable for a metropolis to sustain a whole nation's aspiration. it will explode. lets create and find opportunities at our home towns instead. hmm.. big words. lets c.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I repair my shoe

I have 3 shoes. One formal, One sport shoe and another a mix of the two. The last one is particularly awesome, cause of its uniqueness. It looks like a formal shoe, but is as comfortable and flexible as a sport shoe. I bought it for my first job in Mumbai. I was newly rich and was expected to behave like one. I found this gem of pure black leather in a Colaba Causeway showroom. Quite a find. But its been almost two years now and the shoe shows its age. For all its awesomeness, its quite a weak shoe, to give out so early. I have stitched it, got new laces, and strengthened its sole. It doesn't look shiny anymore cause the leather has suffered from a few hostile trespasses. I think, like a man, things too should be allowed to carry their scars. Shiny scar-less men are just so... irrelevant. 

Since childhood, I have been used to using things for long times. Clothes, equipments, shoes etc. I can't just throw things away cause they don't look as good anymore or they don't w…

Reading India through 'Dictator's handbook'

What's the difference between a democracy and a dictatorship?
The book says, not much. India, agrees. Current political dispensation especially agrees vigorously.

"Soma" of hindutva and past glory + divided impoverished amnesiac masses + legitimised attack on individual rights + tremendous wealth shared among few = brave new world of oligarchical India.


Essentially, democracies/ dictatorships etc., are simply variants of the same power dynamic between the ruler, essentials, influentials and inter-changeables.

Interchangeables are the nominal selectorate - the individual voters who have nominal (or cosmetic) power to choose leader - most of us.
Influentials  are the real selectorate - the guys who really choose the leader. In US recently, the electoral college famously went against the popular vote and elected a clown as their president instead. In India, theoretically, the system is a bit better in terms of a wider base of influentials - it could be religious gurus, party…

How many shots of the girl dancing or laughing aimlessly does it take to establish her as a Manic pixie dream girl?

Learning from bad writing: Meri Pyaru bindu These days I am writing my first story that I intend to complete and publish. So as you can imagine, I am in the writer mode most of the time - anxiously looking for writer's intent, choices, character arcs, alternate story lines etc, while watching any movie or reading any novel. With a well written story, these choices are not that apparent. You have to look hard and yet you might miss out on essential choices that the writer made, to make the film/ novel a great piece of art. It feels as if the story flowed out from the author's mind onto paper with zero loss in translation. For that reason, it is difficult to learn much from good writing. It inspires, yes of course. It helps you get in the mood or get into the right frame of mind. But it can't teach as well as a badly written movie/ novel can.
A badly written story makes you aware of your own fallibility. It grounds you. Most importantly, it helps you see the many ways in wh…